The interrogation of a Cozad man accused of fatal child abuse continued. Psychological assessment introduced | 1340 KGFW

Draven Haynes (Dawson County Sheriff’s Office, courtesy)

LEXINGTON — The trial in the case of a Cozad man accused of fatal child abuse in the death of his infant son continued into August. A psychological assessment was included in the evidence.

Draven Haynes, 23, was charged with willful abuse of a child resulting in death, a Class 1B felony, and committing willful abuse of a child resulting in bodily injury, a Class 2 felony.

On April 1, Dawson County District Court Judge Matthew Neher ordered Haynes to undergo a psychological evaluation to determine his mental competency to proceed and his state of mind at the time he committed the alleged crimes.

Court documents show that on June 11, Haynes’ psychological report was entered into evidence in district court.

The day before, attorney Haynes requested a continuation of the case and a hearing date was set for August 26 at 10:00 a.m. It was noted that further time would not be counted against the state due to the expedited process.

According to court documents, on Feb. 14, Cozad Police and Cozad Fire and Rescue responded to 202 Ave. And in Cozad in connection with a report of an unconscious two-month-old baby.

Officers contacted Haynes, who told law enforcement that he had been observing the infant, Carson Haynes, and the 1-year-old daughter.

Haynes told officers he allegedly placed Carson on the bed and then rolled off of it. Medical staff informed officers that Carson was in cardiac arrest and needed to be placed on a ventilator.

A CT scan was performed on Carson and it was found that he had suffered bleeding on the brain, broken ribs that were healing, and burn marks all over his back that were in the process of healing.

Medical staff told officers that the injuries could not have been caused by the infant falling from the bed and stated that the investigation should include “non-accidental trauma.”

The children were placed in custody for 48 hours and Carson was transported to Children’s Hospital in Omaha.

The next day, officers received information that Haynes had allegedly told family members that he had slammed Carson to the ground while he was crying.

Haynes was transported to Cozad Community Health Systems that day after an attempted overdose.

Officers interviewed Haynes’ mother and she stood by Haynes’ testimony before she overdosed. She also provided photos of Carson suffering from severe burns to his back, which were taken in January 2024.

There were no records or evidence that Haynes ever sought medical attention for Carson’s burns.

Medical staff at Children’s Hospital also determined that Carson’s injuries were due to severe trauma. Staff said at the time that Carson was in critical condition and his injuries could be life-threatening.

On Tuesday, March 7, Carson died at the age of just three months and one day.

Once Haynes passed a medical examination, he was arrested and booked into the Dawson County Jail.