Double killer Darren Pilkington is back behind bars just six weeks after being released from prison

Someororic a double killer is back behind bars just six weeks after being released from prison. Darren Pilkington spent almost twenty years in maximum security prisons for failing to comply with strict release conditions.

The 41-year-old was convicted of manslaughter in 2006 after he pushed his 19-year-old girlfriend, Carly Fairhurst, down the stairs during a night-time row at their home in Higher Ince, Wigan.

He left her with critical injuries for 12 hours before calling an ambulance. Carly never regained consciousness and died a week later.

READ MORE: A person has been taken to hospital after a serious collision in south Manchester

This was Pilkington’s second manslaughter conviction. He was previously jailed in 2001, aged 15, for beating 30-year-old Paul Akister to death outside a pub in Hindley.

Pilkington was released from prison earlier this year despite having spent 18 years in maximum security prisons for failing to comply with strict release conditions. When he was allowed to remain in an open prison in 2022, he escaped and started running for three days.

Carly Fairhurst died in 2006 – Source: SWNS

Despite a number of crimes, earlier this year, the Parole Board recommended that he be fit to leave prison and live in a bailed shelter monitored by electronic tag and subject to curfew. Carly’s parents, Trevor and Sheila Fairhurst, said at the time they were “disgusted” by the Parole Board’s decision.

Just six weeks later, Pilkington is back in prison after breaching his license conditions again.

Carly’s parents continually fought to keep Pilkington in prison, giving him impact statements every year at his hearing.

Her dad Trevor spoke of his family’s frustration that Pilkington was being given “more and more opportunities”.

Trevor and Sheila Fairhurst – Source: Manchester Evening News

Fairhurst told Wigan Today: “There is obviously some relief that he is back in custody, but he should remain in prison indefinitely while being given increasing opportunities.

“Every time he gets another chance, it terrifies us, and then every time he wastes it, we know we’ll have to get back on this legal merry-go-round once more in what will almost certainly be another futile attempt to stop his further release.

“He only lasted about six weeks outside this time. It will never change.”

A spokesman for HM Prison and Probation Service said: “Offenders released on license are subject to strict conditions and we have no hesitation in recalling them to custody if they break the rules.”

Pilkington, now known as Darren Carr, was sentenced to a Public Protection Order (IPP) after being caged over Carly’s death. This meant he only had to serve a minimum sentence of just over three years before he could make repeated attempts to prove his suitability for release. Following earlier decisions to release Pilkington into the community, he was sent back to a secure prison for breaching his license conditions.

Darren Pilkington – Source: SWNS

In 2022 he escaped from Kirkham Open Prison and was on the run for three days before being captured in Horwich. This was close to the exclusion zone surrounding the Wigan area where Carly’s parents still live, and which he was not allowed to enter.

A parole hearing held earlier this year decided he should be released on parole, under strict conditions. These include living at a designated address, staying away from the exclusion zone, staying on the right side of the law and submitting to increased surveillance, including curfews and electronic tracking.

The hearing found that there were a number of risk factors against him due to his past. These included his attitudes towards violence and crime, selection of a negative peer group, alcohol and drug abuse, communication difficulties and an overall unstable lifestyle.

The board was also told that since his last imprisonment his behavior had been “generally good, he had a trusted job in prison and had achieved professional qualifications”. They also heard that there was “no evidence of any aggressive behavior.”

They were told he had also completed work on alcohol, relapse prevention and managing boredom and stress. He also remained on a specialist addiction recovery unit and was judged to have achieved a good level of knowledge of the risks associated with his drug use.