close
close

Hyderabad students find rat in food served in hostel canteen, raises serious health concerns | Trending

Jul 9, 2024 18:17 IST

Hyderabad university students were outraged after finding a rat in food served in their dormitory cafeteria, with many X users calling it “unacceptable”, “pathetic”.

After a Hyderabad resident claimed to have found a worm in chicken biryani ordered through Swiggy last month, another incident has emerged. This time, students of a university in the capital claimed to have found a rat in the food served in the canteen. A video of the same incident has created a stir online, raising serious health concerns. HT.com has not been able to independently verify when or where the video in question was recorded.

Hyderabad: Rat found in food served at college hostel canteen. (X/@IndianTechGuide)

“Rat found in bowl in Telangana hostel. Scary!” reads the caption of the video shared on X.

The video shows ‘chutney’ stored in a large container and a rat swimming in it. It also shows several students recording the incident on their smartphones. The video is said to have come from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University (JNTU) in Sultanpur, Hyderabad.

Watch the video below:

Here’s how people reacted to the video:

“Food hygiene in hostels is a priority. It’s not about the taste. If it’s not to save some money, no one would want to eat in a hostel canteen,” one person said.

Another commented: “This shocking revelation shows that the administration has failed to ensure basic standards of hygiene and quality in educational institutions, putting the health and well-being of students at risk.”

“This is absolutely unacceptable. If shelters serve such food, what will the children do? They are addicted to this food and cannot eat out every day. When will people in India learn to be responsible?” said a third.

A fourth wrote: “This is how you play with people’s lives. Student residences are supposed to be safe havens where students can focus on their studies without having to worry about nightmare scenarios like this. Food safety is a non-negotiable and it’s high time we all took it seriously. Take care of yourselves, everyone!”

While a fifth commented, “Pathetic,” a sixth joined in and said, “Terrible.”

This is not the first time that a foreign ingredient has been found in food. Earlier, a man from Ahmedabad in Gujarat had claimed that he found a rat in sambar while dining at a restaurant. The customer raised the issue with the hotel owner, but to no avail. He then filed a formal complaint with the authorities against the restaurant and immediate action was taken. The authorities not only shut down the restaurant but also sent a notice to its owner to address the food safety issue.

Catch every big hit, every wicket with Crickit, your destination for live scores, match stats, infographics and more. Discover now!

See more

Get the latest updates on trending news, viral news, videos, photos and weather forecasts from India and around the world