close
close

Man arrested in investigation into race hate incidents in Antrim – The Irish News

Police have arrested a man investigating a string of race hate incidents in Antrim.

In recent days, swastikas and graffiti from the neo-Nazi group Combat 18 have appeared around the city. In recent weeks, there have also been reports of numerous families leaving their homes following racist attacks.

On Tuesday, police said a 30-year-old man had been arrested on suspicion of intimidation and criminal damage in connection with incidents in the Redford Grove and Ballycraigy areas.

A police spokesman said: “Following police enquiries into racially and religiously aggravated crime across the Ballycraigy area and a search of a property in the Ballycraigy Drive area, officers arrested a 30-year-old man this morning and seized items for further examination.

“A man has been arrested on suspicion of intimidation and criminal damage in connection with incidents in the Redford Grove and Ballycraigy areas of Antrim.

“The arrest comes as dedicated officers investigate a number of matters relating to a series of recent crimes and incidents which have caused great concern within the local community.”

They added: “We hope this arrest shows how seriously we take reports of racial hate crime and how committed we are to bringing perpetrators to justice, while supporting victims and their families who are deeply affected by these reckless and vile attacks.”