Teenagers arrested after fleeing police following jewelry store robbery

Photo: RNZ / Angus Dreamer

Two teenagers have been arrested after they fled from police following a robbery at an Auckland jewellery store.

Police on Tuesday found a vehicle believed to be connected to a brutal robbery of a jewellery store in Onehunga Shopping Centre earlier in the day.

Detective Senior Sergeant Scott Armstrong said the robbery happened at 4pm and a “large quantity” of jewellery was stolen.

At 10pm in Papakura, a vehicle that had allegedly fled the scene was found.

“Workers deployed to the area located the vehicle travelling through Manurewa and Eagle and soon began conducting observations from above,” Armstrong said.

“Police attempted to stop the vehicle on Roscommon Road but it drove away at high speed and was not pursued.”

Armstrong said the vehicle, seen from the air, struck another vehicle. There was a minor collision, but no one was injured.

Spikes were deployed on the South Western Freeway but the vehicle continued to drive “erratically” and turned onto Massey Road.

Spikes have been re-deployed near the Mt Wellington Highway.

Police pursued the vehicle towards Pakuranga, with Armstrong saying it was “being driven extremely dangerously and fortunately no pedestrians were injured”.

The pursued vehicle collided with barriers at the intersection of Ti Rikau Drive and Reeves Road and the pursuit was terminated.

“The offenders approached another passenger’s vehicle; however, our staff quickly detained the pair, aged 15 and 17.

“We also found a large amount of jewelry in the vehicle.”

The 17-year-old has been charged with robbery with violence, dangerous driving, failing to stop and two counts of illegal taking of a motor vehicle.

“He has also been charged in connection with the attempted robbery of a sports bar in Mt Albert on June 22.

“These charges include four counts of grievous bodily harm, assault with intent to rob, burglary with a weapon and assault.”

The 15-year-old has been charged with robbery with violence and two counts of illegal taking of a motor vehicle.

They are both expected to appear in Auckland Youth Court on Wednesday, with police expected to oppose the older teenager’s release on bail.

Armstrong said the alleged actions and violence used were horrific.

“We will continue to actively investigate these types of crimes, which cause high levels of harm to business owners and the wider community.”