close
close

New York prosecutors set to file new sexual assault charges against Harvey Weinstein ahead of retrial – ABC 6 News

NEW YORK (AP) — Manhattan prosecutors said Tuesday they plan to bring new sexual assault charges against Harvey Weinstein, with the disgraced media mogul expected to be retried in November.

Assistant District Attorney Nicole Blumberg told the court that prosecutors are actively pursuing claims of rape in Manhattan within the statute of limitations.

She added that some potential survivors who were not prepared to come forward during Weinstein’s first New York trial have indicated they are now willing to testify.

But when pressed by the judge, Blumberg said prosecutors had not yet presented their findings to the jury. She also said she could not give the court a timetable for completing the investigation.

“People are still investigating trauma,” she said. “It’s an ongoing process.”

Weinstein’s lawyer, Arthur Aidala, with his client sitting next to him in a wheelchair, suggested that the investigation was simply a delaying tactic by prosecutors, adding that something similar happened before the first rape trial.

“Once again, we have a person and we are looking for a crime,” he said. “We have a hotline called ‘1-800-Get-Harvey.’”

Blumberg rejected that notion and said prosecutors plan to start the trial in the fall.

“There are certainly no delaying tactics on our part,” she said. “We are proceeding in the most expeditious manner.”

Asked by Judge Curtis Farber what month she envisioned, Blumberg replied, “November would be a realistic date.”

Aidala said his client simply wants the trial to start as soon as possible, noting he is in his fifth year of prison.

“He’s in terrible pain,” Aidala said, adding that Weinstein suffers from macular degeneration, fluid on his lungs and heart, and diabetes, which is “very serious” due to a poor diet behind bars.

“He’s basically not getting any treatment for this,” Aidala said. “This is not a young man. This is a sick man.”

“These tactics used by prosecutors are simply delay, delay, delay,” he added.

Judge Farber set the next pretrial hearing for July 19.

Weinstein, 72, has said any sexual activity was consensual. He is currently being held at Rikers Island Jail, but has suffered from health problems throughout his time behind bars.

In April, New York’s highest court threw out Weinstein’s rape conviction after finding that the judge presiding over the case had wrongly admitted incriminating testimony against him, relying on accusations from other women who were not part of the case.

The ruling reopened a painful chapter in America’s reckoning with sexual harassment by powerful figures. The #MeToo era began in 2017 with a flood of accusations against Weinstein.

Weinstein, who was serving a 23-year sentence in New York, was also convicted in Los Angeles in 2022 of another rape and remains sentenced to 16 years in prison in California. But in an appeal filed last month in the Second District Court of Appeal for California, Weinstein’s lawyers argued that he did not receive a fair trial in Los Angeles.

___

Follow Philip Marcelo on twitter.com/philmarcelo.

___

An earlier version of the report misspelled the name of Assistant District Attorney Nicole Blumberg.

Copyright 2024 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.