close
close

Janesville apartment fire was accidental, cause not disclosed

The Janesville Fire Department said Wednesday that a fire that broke out Monday at a Janesville apartment building was accidental and that a firefighter injured while battling the blaze has returned to work.

“Our investigators meticulously processed the scene and conducted interviews, concluding that the incident was not the result of any intentional or malicious act,” Deputy Fire Chief Jamie Kessenich of the Janesville Fire Department, the Bureau of Fire Prevention and the Janesville Police Department said in a statement.






Residents of the Surrey Ridge Apartments in Janesville escaped safely from a fire Monday afternoon, but one firefighter was injured, the Janesville Fire Department said.


DAVID J, SHEEN, JANESVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT


The exact cause has been determined, but due to ongoing discussions with insurance companies, details are not being released, Kessenich said.

Authorities advised caution near the structure, which is fenced off for safety reasons. Paul Davis Restoration of Janesville is monitoring the situation, Kessenich said.

Around 1:45 p.m. Monday, multiple people reported a roof fire at the Surrey Ridge Apartments at 2600 E. Racine St. Firefighters arrived to find flames and smoke coming from the entire attic.

People also read…

Firefighters confirmed that all 23 residents were evacuated before the fire could be extinguished. The fire quickly spread to the entire roof, forcing firefighters to exit the building and use main air jets to extinguish the blaze.






Residents of the Surrey Ridge Apartments in Janesville escaped safely from a fire Monday afternoon, but one firefighter was injured, the Janesville Fire Department said.


DAVID J, SHEEN, JANESVILLE FIRE DEPARTMENT


The Red Cross is helping residents displaced by the fire, which caused nearly $1.9 million in damage.